gulf of tigullio
Santa Margherita Ligure
The birth of Santa Margherita Ligure dates back to the presence of a Roman settlement. It was the fief of the Fieschi family, from 1229 he submitted to the Republic of Genoa that incorporated the territory of Santa Margherita into the Podesta of Rapallo. In 1432 it suffered the attack by the Republic of Venice and in 1549 the plunder o the Turkish Admira Dragut, such as the nearby Rapallo. In 1608 the fied became part of the Captaincy of Rapallo. At the end of the eighteenth century the territory became part of Napoleon Bonaparte domain, and then passed under the Kingdom of Sardinia in 1814 and in 1861 below the Kingdom of Italy, when it assumed its current name.
After the second World War, Santa Margherita, along with the village of Paraggi and the Municipality of Portofino, they became increasingly popular exclusive tourist resorts.
The main points of interest concern the abbey of Cervara, composed by the Church, the Monastery and a large park with a garden, declared a national monument in 1912; Villa Durazzo, composed by two villas, characterized by a large park from the seventeenth century which is an interesting “Italian style” garden with paths in risseu; a late medieval castle built for the defense against the frequent pirate raids.
Rapallo is located in the western part of the Gulf of Tigullio, set in the gulf that takes its name; The first settlement seems to date back to 700 B.C. .; in 964 it appears for the first time the name of the town of Rapallo in a deed. For the next several centuries, the territory follows the developments of history, to reach the modern era with the development of tourism, with the opening of the first hotels and luxury hotels, grand restaurants, and one of the first casinos.
Many famous people visited and stayed in Rapallo.
The main monuments to visit are: the Sanctuary of Montallegro with its important marble facade (built after the apparition of the Madonna on July 2 of 1557); the Sanctuary of Caravaggio (built between the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries on order of the Senate of the Republic of Genoa); the sixteenth Castle (built by the population between 1550 and 1551 as a result of the frequent pirate invasions); the village with its towers.
Starting from the pre-Roman settlement remains, you can date the birth of the city between the eighth and seventh century B.C. .; the Roman Empire was once considered an important coastal center of the Tigullio territory, whereas after the fifth century suffered the ravages of Heruli and Goths. The first expansion took place in the twelfth century by the Republic of Genoa, while the architectural structure remained unchanged until the late sixteenth century: from that era the new mansions were erected inside the walls in the Renaissance style.
There are, however, of the eighteenth century the new settlements and new roads but they keep the classic road-portico combination.
You should visit the Cathedral of Nostra Signora dell’Orto characterized by an imposing arcade with marble and valuable interiors; the Sanctuary of Nostra Signora delle Grazie in the beautiful hill of “Le Grazie”; the historical palaces of “Rocca Palace”, “Ravaschieri Palace”, “Rivarola Palace”, “Palace dei portici neri”, “Torriglia Palace”, “Marana Palace”. Also very interesting are the city Hall, the Castle of Chiavari, the Theatre-Cinema Cantero, the Archaeological Museum.
In the ancient era Sestri Levante was composed of a small island.
In the Roman era it became an important commercial center, especially for maritime traffic. Over the centuries followed the succession of dominations that took place in the Gulf of Tigullio up to the Kingdom of Italy, which was joined by Sestri Levante in 1861.
Sestri Levante has a rich natural heritage, the town is characterized by the beauty of two bays, the Baia delle Favole and Baia del Silenzio.
You should visit the Basilica of St. Maria of Nazareth and the Church of St. Nicolò and the ruins of the Oratory of St. Caterina; very important is the presence of many historical and stately homes scattered in the city area.